Sunday, July 29, 2012

Be a Good One

I still vividly remember my first day of college. I can tell you the exact outfit I wore, who walked me to class, and that I was scared to death. Sure I looked all calm and collected in my black high heeled pumps but inside I was terrified to go to my first theology class. Thought for sure it was over before I had even started. The first words of the prof are words that I know I’ll never forget:

Everyone is a theologian; you might as well be a good one.  

What?! No, he must have been mistaken. I went to public school. I’m not a theologian.

I don’t remember his explanation as well I as I do his landmark statement, but it was something to the effect of if you can think, and you think about God (or don’t think about God in some people’s case) that it automatically makes you a theologian. You don’t get to decide if you want to be one or not. His job was to make sure we were good ones.

Took him for philosophy as well. Walk in… “Everyone is a philosopher; you might as well be a good one.” Nope, I’ll stick to theologian but thanks anyway.

Flash forward two years later, I was in my doing the first part of my student teaching working in a first grade classroom and the teacher called her students mathematicians. Over and over. It was unmistakably evident that not only were they used to being called mathematicians but they enjoyed it… and more importantly they believed it. What a stark contrast to most elementary teachers who are mathphobic and pass on their fears often without even realizing it.

So when I saw this on Pinterest, it caught my attention and inspired me. 

Photo not mine, could not find source though. :/

So I’m working on a way to do something similar one of my bulletin boards. Will post the finished product. But until then, I thought I’d incorporate it into our class logo.



On the blog some day in the future...
Proverbs 13:20
Head, heart, hands
Puzzle pieces 

Until then, 
walk wisely and be a good one. 

:]

1 comment:

  1. I love that door...can't wait to see the finished project :) What prof said that? I don't think I ever took him.
    Miss you,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete